Friday, June 17, 2011

Tomatillos

This year I've planted 2 tomatillo plants together in a big (6.25 gallon) pot with a trellis. They seem to be doing pretty well so far! They have flowers already and they're getting pretty bushy. The trellis seems to be working a bit better than the stakes I used last year. The young tomatillo plants have REALLY fragile main steps, and last year the wind whipped one of my plants away from its stake, breaking its stem where I had tied it. This year, the branches and leaves are holding the plants to the trellis without much tying. Now that the main stems are thicker, I think they'll stay put.

Tomatillo Plants, June 12

Tomatillo Flower, June 12
Tomatillo Plants, June 16


Last year I had no tomatillo flowers until the beginning of July... so I am excited for a possible early harvest this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment